[Debconf-team] What is Debian Day vs DebConf vs DebCamp.

On Sun, 2011-10-16 at 12:09 -0600, Norman Garcia Aguilar wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 16:22:38 +0200
> Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2011, Leandro Gómez wrote:
> > > We can call it OpenDay, if you want to. The idea is to have something
> > > similar to DC9, mainly with talks in Spanish.
> >
> > no, please keep it Debian Day.
>

> Yes, we will keep it as Debian Day :)
>
> And i think it would be better to have it as part of debconf, in that
> way we can have people from Debian as speakers.

Hi Norman,

You can have people from Debian as speakers, where appropriate, without
having Debian Day as part of DebConf.  Having speakers from Debian is
fine, and covering their accommodation etc. for the night before/after
Debian Day within the conference budget is also fine - it's expected to
be associated with the conference as a whole, just that it's neither
DebCamp nor DebConf.

The general reason behind it *not* being part of DebConf is that the
talks are usually supposed to be targetted at the interested public,
rather than at DebConf attendees.

I think it's good to identify this as one of the three parts of a Debian
Conference:

DebCamp - for people with specific work plans, no or few talks.

Debian Day - for the general public who are interested in what Debian is
and high-level information about it.  An "outreach" exercise.

DebConf - for people with a technical interest in Debian.  A steady
stream of technical talks, as well as a strong focus on technical
planning for the future and collaborating on improving Debian.

Quite different audiences and models of participation.  This separation
is important: we don't *want* DebConf attendees to think that "Debian
Day" is intended for their consumption.

Regards,
					Andrew.

andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
 Dinosaurs aren't extinct.  They've just learned to hide in the trees.