Re: [Debconf-team] penta foo

Joerg Jaspert dijo [Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:33:11PM +0200]:
> Heyho,
>
> i just created DC11 entry in our production pentabarf, with a set of
> days for it. No rooms or anything else, no logo. But any pentabarf admin
> can now easily modify that conference entry (dont press "Delete" :) ).
> You most probably want to put a logo there, change names of days, add
> rooms, modify css.

Yay \o/

Now, where should I do this same thing in Cletus, straight in the DB?
I'd think so, but according to what you wrote, I'd think it involved
some files as well.

> I then looked at the first changes I see in git for pentabarf. Few
> comments:
>
> - I disagree with plainly removing fields from the pentabarf rxml files.
>   If you don't want them in one conference, do set an "if" around them
>   and check for conference_id. If you plainly delete them you break the
>   display of prior conferences.
>   Moving them would be fine, but plain delete is bad. (What happens is
>   that, when someone visits a prior debconf entry and hits save, the
>   data for that field would be lost. And we do allow people to see their
>   last year entry. And admins anyways.)

Perfect. Updated to a saner way, please comment.

> - The submission_controller save_person has a hack that enables to block
>   certain changes. Which is what we want after the apply deadline. But
>   right now this needs to be deactivated. Comment it out. You will see
>   what i mean when you check for a if/elsif chain involving lots of
>   numbers right at the beginning of def save_person
>   Its a set of multiple blocked things, you may want to allow them all
>   for now. down until POPE.user.person_id.

Ufff, this is far from beautiful. Well, at least that means I should
not aim at writing the most beautiful hacks ever :-}

> - I just made gwolf member of "pentabarf" group, which, besides the
>   pentatest he already has, allows host access to skinner.debconf.org
>   and appropriate sudo commands to do the fs-level works on pentabarf
>   (git pull and stuff)

Thanks!

I'll wait for your OK on this mail before even attempting to do
anything in there.

As for the other points you mentioned - I'll keep them close to my
heart.

And to all other people interested in lending a hand: Please do so,
now. Specially if you are comfortable writing
Ruby-on-something-similar-to-Rails (but even if you are not) ;-)