Re: [Debconf-team] Debian/DIVA agreement

Hi,

It has been updated again.  It is now has a letter portion, and a
agreement portion (see below):

http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf11/NGOMoney#Text_of_agreement

The true credit goes to the others on IRC who came up with the initial
concept and made the initial draft, that was the hardest part.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 04:23:20PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> I have just a few comments, which I submit for your consideration:
>
> - I think the idea of money held in trust for Debian should be crystal
>   clear. Hence, I'd prefer to drop the quotes around "in trust",
>   although I don't know if the meaning in English is exactly what we
>   usually imagine, i.e. "money are ultimately Debian's". If this is not
>   fully implied by the "in trust" expression, it would be nice to write
>   that even more clearly.

Attempted to clarify:
"""
It is understood that these funds are owned by Debian, and held "in
trust" at DIVA. Money will be spent and DebConf contracts or
agreements signed only on agreement from the DebConf global team."""

> - I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for an agreement text, but it
>   would be nice to have some sort of thank you message for the service
>   that DIVA will be providing to DebConf organization.

On IRC we agreed to go with an idea that Moray suggested, of making a
cover letter Debian->DIVA which includes things like thanking them,
and other information, and a separate paper with the actual terms of
the relationship.  This gives plenty of room to add stuff like this
(which we tried to).

> - Do we have any history of similar past agreements with other
>   organizations? This text sounds reasonable and I'm ready to trust it,
>   but if we do have some past records, I'd appreciate being pointed to
>   them for comparison.

Not that I know of...

Re: "Spending government money first":

The goal is that the government's money is spent first, since whatever
of it we don't spend, they want back.  I don't have any particular
plan to manage this besides assuming the first 150k € spent from DIVA
is the gov's.  I made it more specific in the agreement text:

"""
After the end of the conference, any remaining DebConf11 funds, except
the ones provided by the Government of Republic of Srpska, will be
returned to one of Debian's fund holding organizations (SPI and
FFIS). It is understood that the Republic of Srpska 150000€ will be
considered to be spent "first", to allow the maximum surplus to be
returned to Debian to further future Debian conference. The money
shall be returned no later than 7 working days after request by the
DebConf global team, once local expenses are settled.
"""

At least now the expectation is clear, and we can see how DIVA would
like to handle it.

Any more comments on the revised text?  Continue to feel free to edit
directly.  (Note: it needs more formatting work, especially the
numbering).

- Richard