Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf11-localteam] Issues regarding venue and scheduling process

Hi Moray,

2011/6/26 Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org>:

> - I don't agree that two rooms gives insufficient scheduling space,
> especially considering the decrease in the number of submissions.  I
> expect we can create an additional downstairs meeting space, but I
> would rather we wait until DebCamp (or until we get floor plans for
> the building, but I suspect DebCamp will come first), finalise the
> room use, and then open up the remaining slots, including that space,
> for late scheduling, roughly following the scheme used last year.

Ok, that's the kind of thing I was asking for.

And maybe people from local-team could do this before debcamp, at
least list visiting the venue and listing the possible alternative
spaces that we could have.

> (- Scheduling events in the hotel on the same timeslots would be bad,
> as it would turn "all hacklabs and talks are across the corridor" into
> potentially "leave the building, walk to the crossing, cross the
> street, round the corner, wait for a lift, along the corridor", and
> every event would need to wait at the start just in case someone was
> arriving from an event in the hotel.)

I agree it is not very good, but we have already dealt with it in past
debconfs. Anyway, if we could arrange an alternative space in the same
building would be much better.

> - The video team are, quite reasonably, only willing to cover two talk
> rooms.  Most Debian participants do not come to DebConf, so scheduled
> talks which do not have video coverage are far less useful, and can
> even be socially harmful within Debian teams!  Thinking for future
> years, it might be worth considering a more general rule that we do
> not pre-schedule events in rooms without video coverage, if they were
> ordinary submissions sent through the early-submission system.

Well... it doesn't seem reasonable to me, but we still have time to
discuss for future years...

Cheers,

Tássia.