[Debconf-team] Issues regarding venue and scheduling process

Hi all,

I'd like to point here some personal feelings about the scheduling
process for DC11. If we can not find feasible solutions on time, it
will be at least registered so it does not happen again in DC12.

The rating process is over and we have around 35 events accepted.
Those ones were scheduled right away, no problem. Then the tracks
coordinator were given the autonomy to schedule their track's talks.
The problem IMO is that it was done regardless of the talks ratings.
Then we end up in a situation with too few available slots left (if
any) for the whole bunch of "undecided" talks, even those *almost*
accepted (which were better rated than some already scheduled events).

It was never a problem in Debconf because we used to have enough space
for everyone. But this year we are dealing with the limit of 70
scheduled events, which means that we'll end up with half of this
number of *rejected* talks, which I believed never happened before.

Given that, what I would suggest (mainly to local-team) is that we
find another alternative meeting room, even if it is small, so that we
could schedule some more bofs. I would even consider the idea of
having the cafe or any other area at the venue as an alternative *if*
we are able to reserve the space and pre-schedule the meetings. The
hotel facilities could be an alternative, if it is really close to the
venue.

Of course we will have plenty of informal meetings during DC11, as
always happen, but this usually brings people together who already
work together. While having things pre-scheduled makes it possible to
people who never worked together know what others are doing, and that
really facilitates collaboration.

Last, but not least... I hope that someday we can have accessibility
in mind when we choose the venue. We can not accept the excuse that
there is no way out cause we are one month before DC11. I'm following
the whole process since the beginning, always raising my hand to
assure that people do not forget about it, and well... I hope it's
worth it.

Cheers,

Tássia.