Re: [Debconf-team] [DC12] DebConf12 status

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> wrote:
2011/6/21 Leandro Gómez <leo.telsen@gmail.com>:
> - Press conference - We had a small press conference with local media (some
> newspapers, TV stations and independent media). The idea was to have some
> press coverage in order to attract potential local sponsors.

If any coverage came out of that, you should start collecting it on a
wiki page.  And mail the list, if it's nice. :)

Sure. We'll do that.

Unfortunately, some of our local journalists are too sloppy (they don't care to ask or do some research) and most of the articles are identical (a copy+paste of the official DebConf announcent).

> - Local sponsorship - Thanks to the press conference we made some contacts
> with potential sponsors. We're going to do a follow-up on this after
> DebConf11. We're going to have some help from a local law firm in order to
> see if we can get a tax exemption for the local business who wants to
> sponsor DebConf12.

Sounds good.

> - Meetings with hotels - We had a couple of meetings with the staff from the
> main hotels and the venue. We made the pre-reservation of the venue and
> they're going to send us a copy of the standard contract they use (we'll
> have this document translated and sent to -team as soon as we have it). We
> probably have to pay something in January in order to secure the venue.
> [...]
> I've already requested an updated quote from the hotels/venue and will start
> to negotiate with them based on the new prices we get. I think we'll have a
> (very) preliminary budget draft for DC12 around August.

Let us know as you get (improved) prices.  These will be major parts
of the costs of DebConf12, so it's worth working hard to reduce them,
and to check other options for venue and hosting -- even if you don't
think the other options would work, you can go back to the first ones
and argue on prices better with that information....

All right. I'll take care of it personally.

Cheers,

See you soon,

--
Moray