Re: [Debconf-team] [DC12] DebConf12 status

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> wrote:
It would be good if the DebConf12 local team could send an update soon
on how things are developing (their ideas, as well as concrete plans).

We already had a couple of meetings (we're meeting again this Thursday). The immediate plan is preparing for our trip to Bosnia. We're making sure that everyone is prepared and knows what to do at DC11. We really want to make the most of our trip to BL and learn as much as we can from the DebConf-team.

Other things we've done:

- Press conference - We had a small press conference with local media (some newspapers, TV stations and independent media). The idea was to have some press coverage in order to attract potential local sponsors.

- Local sponsorship - Thanks to the press conference we made some contacts with potential sponsors. We're going to do a follow-up on this after DebConf11. We're going to have some help from a local law firm in order to see if we can get a tax exemption for the local business who wants to sponsor DebConf12.

- Meetings with hotels - We had a couple of meetings with the staff from the main hotels and the venue. We made the pre-reservation of the venue and they're going to send us a copy of the standard contract they use (we'll have this document translated and sent to -team as soon as we have it). We probably have to pay something in January in order to secure the venue.

- DC12 Presentation - We're working on our presentation at DebConf11. The deadline is July 8 for this.

If they haven't done so yet, I suggest to start looking again at
possible ways to reduce prices and/or gain local sponsorship.

I've already requested an updated quote from the hotels/venue and will start to negotiate with them based on the new prices we get. I think we'll have a (very) preliminary budget draft for DC12 around August.

Looking forward to the DebConf12 session at DebConf11,

We're looking forward to meet you too! :)

Cheers,

--
Moray