Re: [Debconf-team] Final numbers

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Adnan Hodzic <adnan@foolcontrol.org> wrote:
>> Now, government, hotels and everybody is
>> highly flexible but they want *exact* numbers, and we're all but being
>> exact right now.
>
> but later you say
>
>> Also I
>> suggest we have reconfirmation email sent on 24-th (June) as one month
>> before DebConf should be a good remainder and when they should have an
>> idea if they can come or not.
>
> Obviously until after the confirmation stage, we cannot have truly
> 'exact' numbers.  Even then, some people will probably cancel later.
>
> What we *can* get immediately is maximum numbers.

Well for beginning having maximum numbers wouldn't be a bad start either.

>> These numbers mean a whole lot to us, for
>> example visas,
>
> I hope that we already have a list for this, people who need visas
> should have contacted the visa team by now.

So do I.

>> our attendees who have visa problems will be granted
>> visas upon arrival to our country, how can they be given a visa if
>> they haven't even set which country they are coming from?
>
> We should assume that people who haven't set a country, and haven't
> contacted us, aren't asking for visa help.

Their ID will tell their name and their country. In case they have the
"right" name but border police doesn't have the country that matches
that name they won't be able to get in.

>> Also Arrival
>> dates are pretty empty. How are we supposed to even send those
>> shuttles if we don't even have these dates? Same case with Tshirts and
>> numerous other things.
>
> We haven't yet sent reminders to demand that people fill in the date
> data.  That traditionally happens as part of the confirmation stage.
> (If they haven't set a t-shirt size, we can just choose one for them,
> that's not a major issue.)

Yea, this is not an issue now don't know why I mentioned it.

>> I personally
>> know couple of Bosnians that registered for DebCamp because they said
>> "why not?" In the end number of people is not a problem, none of it
>> is, but all we need is exact numbers so I know how to deal with each
>> situation.
>
> If you think there are many cases like that, please arrange (probably
> in conjunction with the travel sponsorship team, who already look at
> these issues) to weed them out -- sponsorship should be for people
> with at least a genuine interest.

Knowing the mentality of Balkans people there has to be more then
couple of cases. Since Velimir is in travel team maybe he could do
this with somebody else.

>> Since last night, I've talked to everybody (diva, govt, hotels) and I
>> told you they want their numbers ASAP, now since ASAP was a vogue term
>> now they would like to have final numbers by next Monday (13th).
>
> Since you have only just announced this deadline, it's too late to get
> real true final 'final numbers' for Monday.  Even if we announce now
> that people must reconfirm before Monday, a significant number of
> people will be away from their email and won't see the message in
> time.

I've been talking about ASAP for quite some time now, it's not my
fault that some don't take that "ASAP" more seriously. But I'll talk
to everybody as I too agree this is too soon. In meantime if we could
even have projections of maximum/mean/minimum numbers that would be
good.

>> I also have a proposition on how we're going to get these numbers. We
>> send out an email to all the registered participants to fill in all
>> the fields they can!
>
> That is planned.  We discussed it in the meeting, and Richard Darst is
> going to fix his script for this from last year.

Yep, I'm aware of this, if it would be possible to have this finished
by next Monday that would be it for now.

>> In case person doesn't fill these fields by the time of reconfirmation
>> email they automatically get "disqualified" for sponsorship.
>
> Yes, it's usual for us to have a list of 'compulsary' fields (notably
> the date ones).

Agreed.

We'll just wait for Darst to finish the scripts and for that email to
be sent out, and maybe on next meeting we could come up with new date
for reconfirmation email.

Adnan