Re: [Debconf-team] debconf11.com

To reiterate what many people have said already, it's great that
there's enthusiasm to create nice web materials for DebConf11.

But, again as others have said:

Firstly, we already have too many places where people should try to
find information for DebConf11 -- www.debconf.org,
debconf11.debconf.org, wiki.debconf.org, then meeting minutes, -team,
-discuss, -announce, and -localteam lists, IRC discussions, etc.  We
should be trying to reduce this so that www.debconf.org directly has
everything a normal attendee will ever need, not adding more places
they need to look.

Secondly, it is very nice that (since working on this a few years ago)
we have the old sites accessible.  That's not just for attendees who
want to look through them from nostalgia, but because it is often
useful to check information about previous DebConfs when organising
new ones.  It's unfortunate if we create an external site, that won't
be archived, without a positive reason for that.

Thirdly, there's the specific issue of the map data.  In the past we
*have* used non-free maps, but it was clear that we had a license to
do so -- in this case, it's still not been clarified that the POI data
is actually legal for us to use, if it was produced for a company.
Since the question of its legality has been raised, we need to see
some clearer explanation of the data's legal status before we can use
it/link to it from the DebConf site.  (If it *is* shown to be free
data, that's of course great, and in that case it should be added to
OSM.)

--
Moray