Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] Is arriving Friday 22nd ok?

Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Government can absorb the financial costs, maybe it does not really
> matter to us. But we cannot -organizationally- receive people arriving
> at arbitrary dates. We are organizing a conference, that has been run
> a certain way for many years, and and even if it does not make too
> much sense given we don't have to worry too much about money
> _this_time_, we cannot bend the process too badly - as we want people
> not to assume the same next years. We should keep DebConf what it has
> been, as it's the only thing we are able to sustain.

100% ditto

> I do not feel there has been contradiction in this point. We have
> repeatedly asked you _not_ to offer things beyond what we agree as a
> _whole_ team. We have never had the strange local/global split we are
> having this year. We need to act as _a_single_ team. Decisions should
> be consulted and kept, even if some of us don't agree - And if you
> want to make registrations completely open, or you want to give Free
> Stuff™, or whatever... Please! We have to make it a joint
> decision. It's not just about DebConf 11 in Bosnia, which will rock
> and be great, but at keeping DebConf organizable for the future.

100% ditto

It tells you have actually run and attended "a couple" of Debconfs ;)

Except, maybe, that we have had substantial differences in between
Debconfs (sometimes we had to charge for breakfast, which was provided
for free before) and that some Debconfs had no team other than
localteam, very early on.

But still, I agree with Gunnar. Even the smallest change tends to
become very cumbersome when it affects large numbers of people.

In Cáceres, getting people to go to reception and get a banner for their
cars if they were parked inside the venue was one such example. We could
have come up with it before arrival and made it really simple, just to
ask people as they checked in "will you park your car in the venue?
Then you'll need this displayed in your windshield". I guess there were
less than 10 cars in total and I doubt we managed to get them all to
display the banner on the windshield. This I remember as a *huge* time
and energy sink.

*We cannot -organizationally- receive people arriving at arbitrary dates*

--
 .''`.  Hate's no fun if you keep it to yourself
: :' :                 -- The life of David Gale