Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf discussion: Venue bid process

And now that I've reemerged from under my rock, I have one concern that I
would like to provide before any delegations are made to this:

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:05:40AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 03:19:21PM +0000, Moray Allan wrote:
> > While much of this proposal should be uncontroversial, I would
> > definitely like to see some comments on the delegation aspect:

> A couple of details that remain to be settled are: the number of chairs
> (I suggest 3) and the actual names. Since they are going to be delegates
> I reserve the right to make the final decision, but I would appreciate
> proposals from this list (either in public or in private, I don't
> care). Constitution implies that they should be DD, but non-packagers
> who have contributed to DebConf organization in the past can be DD
> (hint, hint!).

When making the decision on names, I would advise strongly to delegate
people who show an open interest to DebConf ANYWHERE, and haven't
specifically singled out one country or another as somewhere they'll never
"allow" a DebConf to take place, or refusal to participate at a DebConf
based on where the DebConf was held. Since Debian is comprised of many
participants of many nationalities, it only makes the process that much more
transparent and supportive of all developers if the candidates are receptive
to bids that are put together, or they are considering putting together. If
anyone comes into the process with clear biases and refuses to look beyond
those biases for the rest of Debian, it's a detriment to DebConf as a whole.

Cheers,
Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski