Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf discussion: Purpose of DebConf

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 06:20:06PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> thanks for bringing this up this way, that is, as a "nice slice" of
> the big topic "what is debconf and how should it be done" :-)

Ditto!

> > Face-to-face interactions
<snip>
> > Reward to contributors
>
> This probably too, but in a different way you described (and thus correctly
> despised). Stefano put it in very nice words in
> http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/04/the_DebConf_Newbies_initiative/
> where he wrote: "that attending DebConf increases the enthusiasm of attendees
> and ultimately will make them better Debian citizens".
>
> Which is, well, kind of a reward ;-p

It's interesting you used that quite of mine, since I was going to write
it down in my reply to this thread ... although as a "vote" for a
different purpose, i.e. "Face-to-face interactions" :-) But I do think
we're on the same page here.

My point of view in writing the above was the point of view of the
project. Face-to-face interactions do smooth grudges and differences
which might be perceive in a "bad" way when interacting remotely, but
which disappear completely when interacting F2F.  Hence, with my DPL hat
on, it's for me of customary importance to ensure that Debian has
periodic F2F meetings, as that it is *a* way to improve community
interaction within Debian.

Of course DebConf shouldn't be the only F2F meeting [1], but it's a very
big one, is the one which—at present—is best in attracting Debian people
world-wide, and is periodic. Hence, for me, the primary goal of DebConf
is to have Debian people meet F2F.  Holger's point of view on the above
seems to be the one of individuals, which will see as reward the
possibility of getting together, which is fully compatible with the
project POV.

Still, if I had to rank the two (which is part of Moray's question,
IIUC), I'd rank "Face-to-face interactions" above "reward to
contributors".

Subordinate to both, I'll put what Gunnar has touched too, which in my
mind is phrased as "service to the local people who are near DebConf
location". I say "subordinate" in the following sense: *given* that
we're going to have DebConf, IMHO for the other reasons stated above,
then it does make sense to have the venue travel around the world to
better serve different local communities.

Cheers.

[1] and in fact I was supposed to have already started by now a campaign
    for sprints, i.e. generalized Extremadura sessions, even w/o
    Extremadura :-)

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams