Re: [Debconf-team] Talk scheduling and eating/venue hours

On 07/08/2010 12:05 PM, Richard Darst wrote:
> I was looking at the talk schedule and hours for John Jay (cafeteria),
> which we were likely going to use during debconf.
>
> B: 0700-0945
> L: 1130-1400
> D: 1700-1900
>
> Lunch overlaps well, with or without the changes from Monday's global
> meeting.
>
> However, the last talk ends at 19:30, which doesn't mesh with these
> hours.  However, as we know, not everyone is expected to go to every
> talk, so maybe that is ok.  Plus, the main auditorium talks tend to
> end at 18:00.
>

> Here is another thing I noticed:  Most days, it is the Interschool Lab
> talks that go until 19:00, with the Davis talks ending at 18:30.  From
> a columbia standpoint, ending Interschool earlier would be greatly
> preferable.  Interschool is in a part of the building which nominally
> closes to non-staff at 18:00.  We have special permission to be in
> there later, but someone will have to prop the door open after that.
>
> If we say the last talk ends at 18:30, then we don't have trouble
> letting people get in (we say, last entrance is 18:00), and the lower
> level (Davis, 414) is open later since that's where we have security
> for.  It would help a lot to reduce Columbia stress.
>
> I realize that Interschool is the "track room" and changing things
> this late will be really annoying.  I just thought I'd put this out
> there and see what people thought.

I think that the food schedule alone suggests that we need to move talks
times earlier and/or tighten up the lunchtime gap.  If we have to trade
off the possibility of losing some morning sleep and losing the chance
to eat dinner, i suspect most folks will want to eat dinner.

the issues with the interschool hours add further weight to these needs.
 and i think we need to acknowledge that some people will be in the
cafeteria during some of the scheduled events.

So the earlier proposal might stand, regardless of security cost
concerns.  I'll call this rescheduling X:

 * move pre-lunch events 30 minutes earlier, move post-lunch events 1
hour earlier.  This would mean every scheduled event would end by 18:30.
 however, that's not much time for attendees of that last event to get
to the dining hall and eat.  But that should be OK as long as we're
allowed to stay after closing time (that is, if closing time only
matters for *arrival* and not for eating)

If a last-half-hour rush on the cafeteria each day would be poor form,
then we might need to consider other options:

 rescheduling Y:

 * move pre-lunch events 1 hour earlier (i.e. start at 9am).  move 1
post-lunch timeslot to pre-lunch.  Move remaining post-lunch slots 1.5
hours earlier.  This would have us finishing by 18:00, with 1.5 hrs for
lunch.

 rescheduling Z:

 * move pre-lunch events 30 minutes earlier (day starts at 9:30).  move
post-lunch slots 1.5 hrs earlier.  day ends at 18:00, 1 hour for lunch.
 anyone who wants to have a longer lunch could simply not attend the
first post-lunch period.

If entry to the cafeteria is all that matters (not leaving), i prefer X
myself.  If we need to be out of there entirely by 19:00, i prefer Y to Z.

What do other folks think?

	--dkg