Re: [Debconf-team] attendee bursary status

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 07:52:24PM -0400, micah wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We are one month away from Debconf and not a single person has received
> confirmation about reimbursements for travel or food. This is bad due to
> the nature of flight costs and travel arrangements. I hate to be gone
> for a week+ and then run back in the room screaming about emergencies,
> but I i think we are past the point where we should have notified people
> about sponsorship requests.

Budget-wise, we have basically already budgeted for / have money to
cover:

- All the food we promised (and it looks like we'll be able to do it
  logistically, too.)
- Travel reimbursement, Queue A

I think confirmations of these should be sent out immediately. (for
food/accom, if someone make a text I'll send it to the relevant
people.  I don't have the bursary data.)

Right now the overall budget is reading about -4000 (deficit).  My
estimate of our margin of error is ± 10k, though since yesterday we
have done well with adding extra expenses, so it's more accurate now
than yesterday.

> So this set of questions is: a. do we request an amount from debian on
> the order of 20k or more (if more, what is it)?  b. do we fund x% of
> Queue B? (where x would be somewhere between 70% or 100%)

I think that 20k from debian would be a good idea, for a general "not
break our budget and not burn the entire surplus" standpoint.  I'd
rather ask for extra to ensure a surplus than risk a defacto loan due
to spending too much.

We could then spend a lot of this on travel sponsorship, queue B.  I
am ambivalent about this, it would be very nice but I wouldn't push
it since we are already going much deeper into last year's surplus
than past years.

- Richard