Re: [Debconf-team] [venue] hours for security

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:58:04 -0400, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM, micah anderson <micah@riseup.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:13:33 -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@zhevny.com>
> > wrote:

> > security

> > > It seems an acceptable plan to me, if we can afford it. There was a
> > > seperate night hacklab at dc7 which seemed to work out, even if it
> > > forced people to move.
> >
> > It seems acceptable to me as well... the few thousand more to have the
> > place open 24/7 seems excessive.
> >
> > Did I miss when the hacklabs would be able to be open in the morning?
> >

> If I am reading http://whiteboard.debian.net/rooms_security.txt correctly,
> it seems Richard's proposal for Mudd hacklabs availability was 8am-1am for
> DebCamp and  8am-3am for DebConf.

Thanks for pointing that out, i missed it.

> It's still unclear to me what the options are for true 24/7 hacking, as we
> can't really rely on the Dorm lounges. I'm also not sure where extended
> hacklab hours are more important Camp or Conf?

My understanding is that the options are:

a. 24/7 in Mudd costs a few thousand more for security detail
b. there is always dorm lounges for hacking after 1am, however dorms are
restricted to those who are in rooms at the dorm
c. extended hacklab hours during debconf would give more "bang for the
buck" because many more people would be potentially using it