Re: [Debconf-team] Talks team meeting at 23:00 UTC

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 01:07:35 -0400, Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
> <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
> > Hi debconf people--
> >
> > This is a reminder that the dc10 talks team is meeting today on IRC (and
> > local folks in person as well) at 23:00 UTC (7pm NYC time).
> >
> > We'll meet on #debconf-team -- if it is too noisy there or we're
> > disturbing other organizers who don't want to hear about talks, we can
> > move the meeting to #debconf-talks, but i'd prefer to meet in the
> > standard public channel.
> >
> > I put a stab at an agenda online:
> >

> > http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/Meetings#talks_team_meeting_Wednesday_2010-05-026_23:00UTC__.287pm_NYC_time.29
>
> Last meeting I took an action item to discuss with remote people about
> alternative times / days but I so far only followed up with Ana (which
> won't be joining us for a talks team these days as she's VAC as far as
> I understand). The agreed time last week was Wed June 2th at 7PM NYC
> time.
>
> Now it is too late to fully act on my action item and upon further
> consideration I personally don't quite see how can we accommodate the
> large chunk of hours required for the talks meetings without giving a
> larger weight to the timezone with more people in talks@ (basically,
> this is me giving up on trying to make a more inclusive meeting). What
> can I say, we're horrible people and the next meeting will again be at
> the wee hours of the morning for the timezone where civilized people
> live ;-)

It could be because the last meeting was at a bad time for people
outside of the east coast of the US, but the non-localteam people that
attended that meeting was the sleepless azeem, and gwolf for a few
minutes in the beginning. I really dont want to cut out azeem because he
is awesome, especially in his participation at the last meeting which
must have been a trying and difficult one (it was at least 3hrs in the
middle of the night).

Maybe we can come up with a compromise, do things asynchronously this
time? We can have his (and others who would participate) thoughts on the
agenda item before the meeting, then we can meet in person, commit to
taking good notes, and then publish those so s/he can then have a chance
to comment on them after. This detaches from immediate discussion with
people, which is an unfortunate loss, but would make the local meeting
less weird (we sat together in person, on laptops on irc, which is
weird).

Or we could put azeem on a speaker phone over voip :)

micah