From: Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org>
To: DebConf10-Localteam List <debconf10-localteam@lists.debconf.org>
Subject: [Debconf10-localteam] March 13 localteam meeting notes
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:24:30 +0000

Our collaborative notes / faux minutes:

- introductions
- no new volunteers

- reports from teams
  - talks
    - call for papers is on the wiki.  also some related pages describing terms related to this week and page for ideas
    - most importantly, we are trying to get more than just talks: debates, art installations, workshops, other interesting contributions ...
    - brainstorming page is for both proposing things, and going there to look ideas for you to _give_ someone else's idea of a talk.
    - see various emails to the lists
    - invited one speaker (Eben Moglen) and he also wanted SFLC to be involved (which we want too)
    - platinum sponsors have bought the ability to present a sponsored free software talk
    - various penta things need to be done (drop down list needs to be changed) ACTION
    - some global people will help with things like selecting talks
    - What address to be used to reach the talk team?  list or not?  something with minimal transparency is desired: talks@dc.org ..  If you reply to something from here, reply and CC talks@dc.org.  Redirect questions to the broader list if they apply there.
    - When is the deadline?  (sponsorship deadline is april 15th but that doesn't have to be it)
    - discussion of talk selection date: May 15? May 20? deadline for submissions: April 15? May 1?
    - tentative decision: may 1 for submissions deadline
    - talk selection retreat idea
    - second CfP?
    - where to send to / who sends it from/what return address?  send from "talks@dc.org"
  - Sponsorship
    - if we don't get money we will eat ramen noodles (but not high-quality ramen noodles) for a week
    - corporate stuff is ongoing, many former sponsors have been mailed.
    - We could use some government contacts.  Who knows gov contacts whom can get things?  Biella has some ideas.  But in the US government funding is much less than other countries.
    - Once you get some big names, it's easier to go after smaller sponsors.
    - there is money at columbia for things students are involved in.  That is a possible funding source, if you can get something involved that benefits the students.
    - Biella will contact ACM at NYU.
    - If you want to get _your_ company to sponsor, contact pablo and he can give you information about it.  There are lots of ideas here (not listed in the notes)
    - Other universities might sponsor?
    - Follow-up from DC9 - still trying to send out thank-yous
    - Postpone decision of sponsorship decision timeline until next meeting
    - Next meeting at: target to the weekends after the sponsorship deadline (April 15th)
    - Reconfirmation deadline and it's interactions with the various forms of sponsorship.  DECIDED: June 1st is reconfirmation deadline.
    - Deciding reconfirmation dates is hard.  See below for a decided timeline
  - T-shirts
    - what about an option to buy a t-shirt without sponsorship on it?  Best to not annoy sponsors, we could say "everyone gets shirts with sponsors, you can buy one without sponsorship if you want".
  - Day trip
    - What day?  Friday is coney island fireworks.
    - Coney island game+fireworks (fireworks at 2100 or 2130)?  (What if this was the conference dinner instead?)  Combine coney island and the formal dinner together?
    - Rain contingency plan?
    - The only reservation is that Friday isn't in the middle of the week
    - Group baseball tickets need three weeks notice and you get lots of nice perks.
    - Coney island (D 125th -> Stillwell is accessible)
    - DECIDED: daytrip Wednesday, Coney island plan.
    - Should plan a DebianNYC event to Coney Island to test it out and make plans and all.
- Food
  - We can use the cafeteria to serve our own food (we can't use our own stuff there)
  - What breakfast options are there around the morning?  What other locations around are there?
  -
- Registration stuff
  - discussion: We need a category that caters more towards corporate people whom don't
  - Sell something like SFLC membership with registration, to make prof attendees feel good?  Other things to make prof registration above and beyond actual cost more attractive.
- Next meeting agenda
  - Check in with groups who report back
  - Discussion about the food

- Timeline:
  - March 17 - Registration reminder email
  - April 15 - registration for sponsorship
  - April 17 - Event submission reminder
  - April 17 - bursary committee decides who gets sponsorship money (first pass)
  - may 1  - Talk submission deadline
  - may 20 - Talk committee says "yes or no to talks"
           - Reconfirmation reminder mail
  - June 1 - Reconfirmation deadline
  - June 15- Publish schedule
           - Preliminary housing assignments (shown to attendees)
  - July 1 - Housing numbers confirmed
  - July 9 - Send housing numbers to CUHousing