Re: [Debconf-team] provisional CfP

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:04:32PM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
> Le mardi 10 février 2009 à 21:39 +0100, Ana Guerrero a écrit :
> > Looking at random 2 star hotel in Cáceres, single room with breakast for one
> > week is 360.5 euros ( 7*(44.00+7.5)). Without breakfast: 308 euros.
> > Of course, if we look at a 3-4 stars hotel, it will increase quite a bit.
>
> I don't know what the hotels in Cáceres are like, but I think people who
> (have their employer) pay a 'professional' rate to upgrade their
> accommodation may expect more than a 2-star room.  It's been mentioned
> already that another group of people want to pay the professional
> registration fee but prefer stay with everyone else -- a separate 2-star
> hotel obviously wouldn't please them either.

My point here was showing that the price varies a lot between the residence
and a very cheap hotel.
You can expect, as general rule, the 2 star hotel being much better and
nicer than the student residence.

I want to remark that we have people who are paying themselves for their
lodging because they can afford it and do not feel comfortable with asking
sponsorship, and they want to stay with the crowd. This is also the case of
people going with their partners who ask for sponsored lodging form them but
pay for their partner.

> As, from what I understand, the accomodation situation will be more like
> Edinburgh than like the hotel in Mar del Plata, it might be simpler to
> separate out the professional registration fee from the accommodation
> choices, and simply try to help people who pay the registration fee and
> don't want sponsored accommodation to arrange a hotel for themselves.

It is always better if a hotel can be pre-arranged for this, so people can get
some group discount, get an hotel the most close possible to the venue, and even
if they want to stay in a hotel, they still have around other Debian people...
Of course, this is assuming somebody from the localteam want to take care of this.

I would suggest 3 groups:

- no sponsored: for people who can pay it and/or want to pay for their
  companion. They just pay lodging+food. Stay with sponsored people.

- professional: stay in a hotel by default. Unless person ask stay in the
  residence (aka their company pay but they want to stay in the residence).

- corporate: hotel and conference fee.

Ana