Re: [Debconf-team] DC10 housing and timing options/info

Christian Perrier dijo [Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 07:20:53AM +0200]:
> (…)
> Again, this is very certainly a quite europen-centric and "northern
> hemisphere" point of view. And I'm probably even also influenced by
> the French culture of having a bunch of holidays and July/August being
> empty months.

I should add, I feel this also would work best for North America.

~50 years ago, Mexico followed the South American school plans (that
means, the school year starts in February and finishes in
November). In the 1960s, and don't ask me how this change was
implemented, it was switched — Officially, this was done "so that the
children can better enjoy their Summer" (bah, Summer is the rainy
season here, the best season to really enjoy for vacations would be
Winter or Spring). Of course, it was done to homogeneize with the
USA.

Nowadays, our children's schoolyear starts in late August; US
childrens' starts in early September. I do not really know about US
universities, but I would be confident to extrapolate they also rest
in July/August. But of course, the NY gang is somewhat better informed
than me ;-)

Greetings, still feeling bad at myself by committing my time to be
available for yesterday's meeting and not being able to make it :-/
Life can be hectic…

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244