Re: [Debconf-team] Too early arrivals

Le vendredi 12 juin 2009 à 13:19 -0400, Richard Darst a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> As we know, some people are arriving on the 15th, instead of the
> 16th.  We need to decide how we can help them.

Another reminder of what you already knew for DC10: next year, please go
back to doing more early manual validation of the registration data!
More checks in Penta itself are always good but not enough.

Since the start of February (registration opened in March), the DebConf9
website has said "Thursday, 16th / First day of DebCamp / First day for
sponsored food+room (only for people with a work plan for DebCamp)."
Therefore I think it's fair to default to not sponsoring accommodation
or accommodating people in the residence before that, as announced.  In
that case it would be useful to suggest a cheap place for that night.

However, if it is easy to get a few beds in the residence for the night
of the 15th, that would obviously be easier for people, whether or not
it's sponsored.  (You already asked the local team to look at this.)

The other thing I'd say is that it's *not* useful to have random
attendees around the venue early unless we're sure they actively want to
help set things up.  Even if they're sleeping there early, setup would
be easier if any uninterested people go off to do tourism than if they
hang around distracting people/getting in the way/wanting a network.

--
Moray