[Debconf-team] Attendees who are currently marked "-- please select one--"

Hello everyone,

So Ganneff and I and others prodded the database today to get some
statistics on the "-- please select one--" attendees, to figure out
what to do.

Right now, we have 13 *reconfirmed* attendees marked p.s.o..  We have
a total of 51 attendees marked p.s.o.

Ganneff looked at the complete database history.  One person had been
changed back to p.s.o. from some other category.  All others have been
p.s.o. the entire time they have been registered.  So, as far as the
database is concerned, these people should not be given free
accommodation.

So, this is quite an issue.  Technically speaking, all of these people
would be forced to pay 300€, make other accommodations, or not come.
However, this does *not* seem to be in the best interest of the
conference.

I discussed with Marga, and we agreed that this is a lot of people,
and that rejecting all of them isn't in the best interests of the
conference.  We think it's reasonable to say that if you have
registered before the deadline and have always been "please select
one", then you can be set to hosted independent.

The purpose of the early registration is to be able to know our budget
and do long-term planning.  We *did* budget for these people to have
hosted accommodations, so it won't make the conference impossible.  I
don't think people next year will start choosing to select p.s.o. just
because we made exceptions this year.  (Note that last year Marga did
a good job of emailing people *before* the deadline to fix it, we
didn't have anyone doing that this year).  We wouldn't announce this
widely, just fix it on a case by case basis after targeted
notification to those who have registered early enough.

And then next year, we'll try to prevent this problem from getting to
this point.

What do you all think?

- Richard