[Debconf-team] Minutes from 2009 April 27 Meeting

Hello everyone,

On 2009 April 27 we had a global team meeting in #debconf-team, as
scheduled.  We received a major revelation that we *have* to change
the venue --- the one we were planning on using will be closed for
renovations.  See below under "Venue Change" for details.

Two more meetings were planned: A meeting focused on local issues 2009
May 4, 19UTC (it will be in Spanish, summary later translated to the
global team);  global meeting 2009 May 11, 19UTC.

Meetbot minutes:
  http://meetbot.debian.net/meetbot/debconf-team.20090427_1900.html
Meetbot log:
  http://meetbot.debian.net/meetbot/debconf-team.log.20090427_1900.html

Discussion of important topics is below.  The significant portion
discussing the venue change is in Spanish, Ana has provided a summary
below.

Venue Change (summary provided by Ana)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The venue we were planning to use until now will be under construction
during the time of the conference, thus, we can't use it.  Another
place has been *reserved*, http://www.ccmijesususon.com/ , it is a
technological center.

The new venue has an auditorium with almost 400 seats and there are
also 3 smaller talk rooms available.  The new venue costs 13k euros,
paid for by the Junta de Extremadura, reservation quote has been sent
to the list.  Reservation of the venue is still waiting for Junta's
approval.

The place is only 2 years old, so it is expected to follow latest
accessibility laws (this last is ana's addition).  New venue is better
than first one but was discarded earlier because it is far from the
sleeping-quarters.  Opening times of the venue are unclear, it is
believed to be from 9:00 to 23:00 *maybe*.

It is far from the main residence, but the town hall is willing to pay
buses (worth ~5000 euros).  The plan is to have buses all day from the
town to the venue. Distance is 2-3 km from town. (ana: others sources
say 4km).  In the new venue, there is a residence for researchers, but
it's quite expensive. An agreement may be made for some beds there.
Further details will be sent to the mailing list.

Telefónica is still sponsoring Internet connections, anto asked a
20/15 one. He asked for 8 lines, 2 for residences and 6 for the venue.

Updates from teams
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Travel sponsorship - mails have been sent out gathering people.
* Talk selection - mails have been sent out gathering people.
* Sponsors team: money coming in, most previous sponsors are talking
  to us and matching previous amounts so far
* Scheduling Team -- they have discussed what they want to do
  wrt. deadlines and lead-time on accepting talks during
  camp/conf. Awaiting talk selection to begin scheduling.
* Budget team - no real updates since before, but things will have to
  be revised based on the new venue

Registration/CfP Status
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More talks/papers always accepted, but may be in a less-official
track, and won't be considered for travel sponsorship after this
point.  Scheduling done on a best-effort basis, but not so late as to
disrupt other things.

Visa Letters
~~~~~~~~~~~~
No news from the Junta.  We may have to get Anto's office to sign them
if this will end up being delayed too long.

Reconfirmation Dates
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May 15 to June 7th.  However, some people's reconfirmation is
dependent on getting travel sponsorship, but this isn't a new problem
for this year-- we just do the best we can.

Travel Sponsorship - amount not filled in by deadline
We had some requests to extend the travel sponsorship deadline.  There
was a good debate about this, we decided that a direct email would be
sent out to those who have the field blank, giving them until May 1st
to fill it out again.  However, filling it out late can/will result in
a lower priority in the travel sponsorship queue, depending on the
exact situation.

Booths at OpenDay
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsors can get a booth if
- Sponsor pays payment of booth cost at a typical Spanish conference
  (will be researched later)
- They are gold or platinum sponsors (free at these levels)

Open question: if a sponsor pays just the cost of a booth, do they
also get the equivalent sponsorship level?  Is the booth cost on top
of the sponsorship level cost?

List of Hotels
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We need a short list of: a) a cheap hotel b) a medium hotel, c) a
fancy hotel.  Cek will work on this by this weekend.  These are for
attendees who want to make their own arrangements/don't have sponsored
accommodation.

Do we have enough beds?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is unknown how much the numbers will drop as we get to
reconfirmation.  Local team says we can get more beds on short notice,
however, it's hard to know how much we can rely on this.  Hotels will
be too expensive.

Meeting Issues
to work on this.

Next meetings
Two more meetings were planned: Meeting focused on local issues 2009
May 4, 19UTC (this one may be in Spanish);  global meeting 2009 May
11, 19UTC.

With this, the meeting ended.  We have to try to work out how much
things change with the new venue now.  Thanks to everyone who
attended.

- Richard