Re: [Debconf-team] Request for a debconf keynote

Because I'm generally nosey and curious and well, always feel the need to
voice my opinion, please forgive my intrusion into this. I'm only trying to
help!

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:41:09AM +0400, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Mark Shuttleworth <mark@ubuntu.com> [2008.04.22.2307 +0400]:

Having watched this thread for awhile, I have to wonder if there would still
be resistance to offering a speaking slot to *anyone* who was wishing to do
a presentation this late in the process? If HP or Google were to come
forward with similar requests, would they be denied out-of-hand due to the
date as well?

I understand the organization involved in scheduling these events is
immense, as does everyone else currently reading this mailing list, I'm
sure. What I'm concerned about is how much time and effort is being put into
persuing a debate over the merits of such a request. It's difficult to make
a decision based on only having the little informaiton that's currently
available for the outline of the presentation, and, it's difficult to devote
time and resources to such a presentation without a head-nod that it will
happen.

Personally, the concerns I've seen noted in the thread are easily concerns
that could be brought up in a question/answer portion of a presentation -
and, likely, said concerns would be *better addressed* in such manner. If
the organization is going to be seriously hampered by adding one more, then
that's our answer, I suppose. But, if it isn't, is this not something that
could be considered?

Yours,
Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski