Re: [Debconf-team] Request for a debconf keynote

Margarita Manterola wrote:
Hi Mark and all!

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@ubuntu.com> wrote:

 The reason I would like to ask for a keynote is straightforward - the
 idea of collaboration between Debian and its derivatives is important
 for all of Debian, and for all derivatives.

What you suggested sounds interesting and many DebConf attendees would
be interested in such a talk as well. Unfortunately, the time for
submitting official talks ended on March 31st, most talks have already
been evaluated, and the final selection is taking place this week.

Platinum Sponsors, however, have the chance to give a talk of their
preference without going through the talk selection process. Allow me
to suggest that Canonical becomes one of them, so that you get the
chance for the Keynote without us having to make an exception, and
help DebConf along the way.

It's not clear from the web site if these talks are a keynote (like the DPL presentations), or if they are standard talks that might be anywhere in the schedule, at the same time as other talks. I'd ask, if you agree this is important, that you schedule the presentation as part of the opening session, right after the DPL presentations.

With regard to sponsorship, I think it's important to separate Canonical and Ubuntu. I don't feel comfortable with the suggestion that Canonical should purchase the opportunity for me to address DebConf, when the intent is to strengthen the relationship between Ubuntu and Canonical. I'm sure it wasn't your intent, but I think it would send the wrong message to suggest that money buys access at DebConf.

Mark