Re: [Debconf-team] Some thoughts: sponsored attendees

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Again, I agree that we should make budget planning easier and more reliable. I
> just think, we should (at least) be generous with food and aim for a high
> number of sponsored accomodation and food, even for "little contributors".
> (So maybe try to sponsor food and accomodation for 300-350 people next year,
> or food+accomodation for 300 and food only for 100 more.)

The numbers themselves are a matter of the budget planned for each
year, so I don't oppose to making it bigger, if the people planning it
think it makes sense.  My position is mainly that we have to have a
cut line, so that we know in advance the limit that will be spent.

Also, I think that announcing that there's a cut line encourages
people that can pay to pay, but this is just a guess.

>> "Professional" attendees should then go to one of the many hotels in
>> the city of Cáceres (it would be good if the organization would take
>> care of booking the places and arranging all the stuff with one hotel,
>> so that all the Professionals are together, in a near by hotel).
> I'm not sure, seperating the "professional" attendees from "the others" is a
> good thing. If possible, we should be mixed or better, grouped according
> preferences... (with people working on the same field, speaking the same
> language, or the opposite.) Grouping by money isn't useful for the attendees.

In the general case, I agree, and that's what was done this year.
However, my statement was specific for the Cáceres proposal, in which
the "sponsored" place is for free, and thus doesn't make much sense to
make people pay for it, it is also not so big (250+70), and finally,
it's a student residence, I think that most of the people that might
pay for their stay would rather go to a hotel, where they can have a
certainty of air conditioning, and they get some value for the money
they spent.

--
Besos,
Marga