Re: [Debconf-team] Some thoughts: sponsored attendees

Hi,

Marga, thanks for summarizing your thoughts, while they were fresh!

I'll only reply to the stuff I disagree with or have (slightly) different
opinions about. With the rest I probably agree ;-)

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 16:20, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> I feel that the current policy (whoever registers and reconfirms on
> time gets free food and accom) is wrong.

I fully see and understand your point, but I'd like to remark that I'm only
here, because of that policy. I attended DebConf3 because I was interested in
Debian and wanted to become more involved _and_ because accomodation and food
was provided for free. I'm quite sure I would not have attended (and become
involved in DebConf4 one year later, albeit quite low at that time) if it
wouldn't have been free and I probably would also not have become involved in
Debian as I am now. (Mind you, back then I was using Debian for 8 years
already...) Meeting you (=debian people) in person made me want to become
part of Debian.

I'm sure there are quite some in this category, I know a few :-)

Again, I agree that we should make budget planning easier and more reliable. I
just think, we should (at least) be generous with food and aim for a high
number of sponsored accomodation and food, even for "little contributors".
(So maybe try to sponsor food and accomodation for 300-350 people next year,
or food+accomodation for 300 and food only for 100 more.)

> "Professional" attendees should then go to one of the many hotels in
> the city of Cáceres (it would be good if the organization would take
> care of booking the places and arranging all the stuff with one hotel,
> so that all the Professionals are together, in a near by hotel).

I'm not sure, seperating the "professional" attendees from "the others" is a
good thing. If possible, we should be mixed or better, grouped according
preferences... (with people working on the same field, speaking the same
language, or the opposite.) Grouping by money isn't useful for the attendees.

regards,
	Holger