[Debconf-team] Some thoughts: sponsored attendees

Hi!

DebConf8 is over, and I feel the need to share some thoughts that
might be useful for next year.  I'll be sending them on different
mails according to the different subjects, so that we can discuss them
separetedly.

So, regarding the sponsored attendees:

I feel that the current policy (whoever registers and reconfirms on
time gets free food and accom) is wrong.  It creates a great deal of
uncertainty regarding the budget and the size of the facilities
required for these sponsored attendees.  Thus, I propose that we use
the policy that was used for DC4: there are a fixed number of
sponsored places (for example: 250).  If less than that number of
people register and reconfirm on time, then all of them get sponsored
food and accom.  But if more than that number register, then the
sponsored attendees are selected according to their participation in
Debian.

I think that the "Professional" category worked well this year, and
next year it might work even better, if the professional attendees get
to be in a hotel or so.  If the price proposed is not excesively high,
then Debian people who can pay will pay, and those who aren't big
contributors will also pay, because they understand that they can't
really ask for free food and accom when they don't do work for Debian.

In particular, for next year, there are 250 places in one residence
(only 180 with A/C) and 70 places in the other residence (I think that
those are without A/C). So, the cut could be 250 or 320.  The
"Professional" attendees should then go to one of the many hotels in
the city of Cáceres (it would be good if the organization would take
care of booking the places and arranging all the stuff with one hotel,
so that all the Professionals are together, in a near by hotel).

--
Besos,
Marga