Re: [Debconf-team] What if you don't get DebConf 7?

On za, 2006-07-08 at 10:39 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> One of the things that's confusing me about the bidding this year is
> the "do or die" attitude that we seem to have gotten to; I've heard
> suggestions from both teams now that if they don't get DebConf 7 they're
> going to give up and not try again.
>
> That seems a bit crazy to me -- it's just one year, there'll always be
> others. At least from my experience with linux.conf.au [0] if a venue
> misses out one year, that just means they come back the next year with
> more ideas, more time to prepare, and the advantage of having seen all
> the clever ideas the team that beat them had so they can incorporate
> them into their own bid. I think the teams that ran the conference in
> every year from 2003-2006 had already tried to run it the year before,
> but "lost" to another team; and every one of those years ended up running
> a better conference than the year prior too.

I fully agree with Anthony. The world doesn't end with DC7, and neither
does DebConf. There will likely be a DC8, DC9, etc.

And if the loosing team keeps on preparing for DC8, that will only make
it even more likely that there will be a DC8.

Just my thoughts,

-Aschwin