Re: [Debconf-team] my thoughts last night

Hi,

On Thursday 06 July 2006 10:28, Safir Secerovic wrote:
> No, we could save lot of money on the dorm option. I will check if the
> United Nations building by the dorm is usable for auditorium purposes.
> It does not hurt to check.

/me nods.

But then you also wrote this today: "Dorm is out of the question, we now what
stockholm was asking. But also if you have followed the meeting more closely,
we have ruled the dorm out. I am telling you that we have opted for the Hotel
"Terme" with full accessbility support, only."

As said, I'm not impressed by the localteam. Remember the beach ressort?

> We have had a number of big international events so far, both conferences,
> sports events, fair etc. And all the participants got their visas at the
> airport without any fuss. We are still not a Schengen country, so it is
> much easier for people to get a Bosnian visa.
> Information I got directly from Bosnian goverment, Ministry of Foreign
> Affairs.

This sounds much better. Though still the concerns in the 2nd URL have not
been addressed. (Also please note that the list on
http://www.mediavisa.net/schengen-visa-mandatory.html (without the #vtaall in
the URL) also says "Travellers from whom a short-stay or transit visa is
required by _all_ Schengen States" and that this list is much longer than the
list at schengen-visa-mandatory.html#vtaall)

> > 6. We don't know the Sarajevo localteam and they're hardly involved with
> > Debian. If they fail, we can only say "oh no". If the Edinburgh team
> > fails, noone will want to co-maintain packages with them anymore :) Also,
> > from what I've seen in the last three month, I'm far more impressed with
> > the work of the EDI team, both technically and socially.
> You have not been folowing Bosnian team really.

How do you know what I have been following how well?

> Please see on our wiki page / ask delegates who were here.

From following your team on irc, mailinglists, the wiki and the reports I *do*
have the impression, that I'm more impressed by the EDI team, both
technically and socially.

> > 7. Some women have raised concerns about Sarajevo and the localteams

> > attitude has mostly been to deny these concerns instead of addressing
> > them. This is like being told the water in Mexico is drinkable instead of
> > being able to make an informed deciscion.
> Not true again, please see the backlog of lastnight's meeting and you will
> see first hand answers from women to women.

Except for those 5min where I have been absent (and which backlog I read), I
don't need to read the backlog, as I have participated live.

If you read the backlog, you will see that those concerns have _mostly_ not
been taken seriously. In the end, they were addressed, mostly by one woman,
yes.

So I'm not saying that you (or rather she) lied. Rather, in line with "not
impressed from the teams social competence".

(And you completly ignored this "issues" when choosing the mosque or in
various statements on the irc channel before (and in RL in SJJ)).

Also, a person who is used to something (i.e. that woman from your team)
doesn't necessarily notice things the way other people do (who are not used
to that something). Obviously (in this case) this is even more true for the
men in your team.  (And maybe rather s/notice/make them so uncomfortable that
they wont come or leave/ ...)

Sorry, I don't want to satisfy the urge of some men to explore new territory
for the (and even if only perceived) comfortableness of some women. Debian
needs more women, we have enough men involved.

Having said this, I also acknowledge that this is one factor, like all the
others...

regards,
	Holger