[Debconf-team] my thoughts last night

Hi,

so last night I couldn't fall asleep (and took some notes) and tonite I woke
up after after a really short time of sleep and couldn't sleep more.

So this document is the result of thinking last night (with taking notes..)
after+about the meeting what rational thoughts I have for not being in favor
of Sarajevo anymore. Until debconf6 I didn't _like_ the UK bid and was
neutral about Sarajevo. Debconf6 showed the importance of the localteam and I
became in favor of Edinburgh...

1. From many comments from stockholm (in RL (dc6), on the list and on IRC) I
got the impression he is clearly biased in favor of Sarajevo (and I fail to
understand why). So much, that it somewhat puts Sarajevo down for me. I'm
aware that this is not a a completly rational argument, but I want to share
this with you.  And I have rational arguments for my impression of stockholm
being biased:

One example the "we need the dorm option" argument, because (stockholm
basically says) "debconf will grow each year, this is good, and we need to
pay for everything this is the (not really changeable, not really
discussable) way of debconf." - Of course he can say and think what he wants,
and of course his thoughts are the thoughts of someone who has been deeply
involved in debconf the last years (from the beginning?), but I dont think
his "forecast" is accurate (unlimited growth?) nor what I think is healthy
for DebConf.

I'm also quite disappointed that there is no costs comparison spreadsheet so
far (even or if only with estimated numbers (you can easily put many
calculations in one spreadsheet)) - if stockholm is the main organizer and
says "only the dorm option is doable" I want to have this backed up by
(comprehensible) numbers from him.

Surely it also didnt help that we moved^wran from debconf6 to debconf7,
instead of having a discussion about his leadership like many wanted. I've
read a very good summary on this (the perceived problems with his
leadership), which the authour didnt want to publish anymore after the
delegation happened. And I heard many people from the team complain about
this at or shortly after debconf6.

(After saying this I should/want also state, that I do like, value and trust
(in general, as said, I'm put off by his current behaviour) stockholm very
much. As much as I am unhappy with some of his behaviour at dc6, I've been
far more happy with him than unhappy ;)

2. Unclear flight costs for Sarajevo, while Edinburgh will certainly be
cheaper for many europeans and us-americans. According to stockholms travel
agent the difference in average will be 100-150 euros, if booked well in
advance. While I do believe this is true for europeans (but not all of them
can book well in advance, btw), I've only heard about much higher costs from
outside europe. Also, people who will need visas might also not be able to
book well in advance.

3. Unclear Visa situation. According to Sapphire (and contrary to official
information on official bosnian websites), people can fly to Sarajevo and get
a visa at the airport. If they dont want to risk wasting money and time by
doing so and then not getting the visa, e.g. latin americans either need to
travel to argentina to the bosnien embassy there or to the US (and probably
need another visa for that, and of course this is also expensive.)

http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20060619.110359.78423ced.en.html only
states "we could request" (which might be denied), and there is no answer to
the concern raised in
http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20060627.151735.c5bfa627.en.html so
far.

http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20060618.002949.ac6946bf.en.html is
where the visa thread started. (And where you can find visa information about
both countries.)

4. The USA and Japan both warn there citizens about Bosnia (see
http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20060617.011732.497e9cce.en.html).
While I _do_ think this is mostly goverment propaganda, I fear this might
influence the amount of hardware we will get borrowed. Or to put it
different, I'm sure we will get more and better stuff lent in Edinburgh.
(Similar for the network, it sounds like we can get decent network the Hotel
Therme (people from localteam working at the hotels ISP), while it sounds
like we can get very good network in Edinburgh (three independent ISPs want
to sponsor debconf by now, maybe more, maybe gigabit).

5. From the venues itself, I think both options sound good. Edinburgh sounds
nice with being in the city and Sarajevo sounds nice being locked up in a
hotel outside the side :) Really. Both aspects (in the side or in a hotel
more outside) have their pros and cons, but both (venues alone) sound equally
good to me. I think I do want to state, that Scotland also sounds interesting
to me. Sure, Sarajevo sounds even more interesting, but that doesn't mean
Scotland is boring or like all the rest of Europe (haha! like Europe is the
same everywhere. We are not there yet.)

But being cultural interesting is only a minor aspect when choosing the place.
And from the places itself, both sound good to me.

6. We don't know the Sarajevo localteam and they're hardly involved with
Debian. If they fail, we can only say "oh no". If the Edinburgh team fails,
noone will want to co-maintain packages with them anymore :) Also, from what
I've seen in the last three month, I'm far more impressed with the work of
the EDI team, both technically and socially.

7. Some women have raised concerns about Sarajevo and the localteams attitude
has mostly been to deny these concerns instead of addressing them. This is
like being told the water in Mexico is drinkable instead of being able to
make an informed deciscion.

8. While I agree (and very much like) that DebConf is also about spreading the
ideas of free software, I do think DebConf is mostly an event to improve and
strenghten Debian, both socially and technologically.  And...

9. after all the stress at debconf6, I want to have a "good (as in productive)
and easy (as in fun)" debconf this time for sure. I've seen far more
indications that Edinburgh is a good choice for this than Sarajevo.

regards,
	Holger, who will now enjoy breakfast... ;)