Re: [Debconf-team] "Global" favourite

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 06:39:26PM +0200, Florian Reitmeir wrote:

> Your flight prices look strange to me, this year flying to mexico from
> Austria (its nearly a neighbour to bosnia), a two way ticket, did me only cost
> about, 900 USD and this price was including a travel insurance.
> (the flight was munich -> london -> mx )

> Maybe there is some price optimization possible, which airline did you choose
> to get prices above?

> for example:

> (searched via travel-overland)

> - two-way ( = 2x tickets)

> - New York J.F. Kennedy (JFK)
>   Sarajevo (SJJ)
>   and back

> - Mai 2007 (search for june 2007 isn't possible)
> - EUR 1.051,64 (including 16% taxes)
>   ~ 1366 USD

New York would be on the East Coast. I was looking at prices from the West
Coast. Admittedly, I was looking from PDX (Portland International), which
tends to not have the cheapest international flights, but even glancing at
LAX (Los Angeles), the prices really didn't vary that much considerably.

To get to the East Coast from the West Coast would cost somewhere around
$400 per ticket (pure speculation based on various flights I've priced
around the country recently).

I didn't choose a particular airline - I looked through Travelocity's site
to get a general idea of what flight costs would be. If I were actually
*purchasing* tickets, I would put a lot more effort into comparing airlines
and finding the best prices. As it stands, getting to Europe from the west
coast of the US (and for that matter the west coast of Canada, as well) *do*
cost about that much for June.

Yes, costs would be slightly lower going through JFK, however, that's simply
not an option for everyone on this side of the world. ;)

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski