Re: [Debconf-team] PostgreSQL might join in EDI, not in SJJ

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 05:14:59PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Actually, I don't think that merging two conferences is a good idea at
> all. Debconf itself has actually a size large enough to almost loose
> overview about the different people. (That doesn't mean anything
> negative about postgresql conference - actually, if we would like to
> merge our conference with another, postgresql would be high on my list.)
> Also, merging two existing conferences means merging two different work
> cultures from two different teams.
>
> Also, I doubt that we should base a decision on the fact that perhaps
> postgresql is willing to run a conference together with us if the
> debconf organizers would in reality choose another location.

Their conference would be much briefer, and I can imagine it working as
a simultaneous but separate conference at the same location. My point is
that they could help out a lot with the logistics, especially getting
money faster and in larger amounts, moving it around better, tracking
sponsorships, and getting better deals with the venues. It wouldn't have
to cause problems for DebConf or change the nature of our conference,
but there are certain things that we and they both have to deal with,
and combining the organizational expertise of both teams could help both
conferences run more smoothly but still separately.

They will be organizing a conference around the same time regardless of
whether it's combined, and it makes sense to me to combine logistics
even if the conferences are separate. (Josh will probably be SPI
Treasurer at the time and will need to handle funds for both anyway.)

(I'll reiterate that I'm speaking only for myself here.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org