Re: [Debconf-team] Combined conference possibilities

* Josh Berkus (Josh.Berkus@Sun.COM) [060621 08:49]:
> Debconf planners,
>
> At the SPI meeting today Neil raised the possibility that Debian and
> PostgreSQL, both being members of SPI, could hold a joint conference.  I'm
> certainly warm to this idea.

The idea came up after someone approached us about a joined
conference with OpenBSD, which has money problems and would
perhaps get better deals when joining with a bigger group like
Debian.

Just out of curiosity: What are the effects (or "synergies" (c:)
that you hope for?

> However, I understand that the two locations being considered are Edinburgh
> and Bosnia.   I just wanted to give you a heads-up that, based on my
> judgement, the PostgreSQL project would consider a joint conference in
> Edinburgh but not in Bosnia.   This is because both of plane fares and
> because of sponsorship opportunities.

so you already thought about the cost issues involved in more
depth? could you please share your insights? We are still in the
process of evaluating venues and costs and it would rock if you
could help us along there.

> Of course, regardless of where you hold the conference, our team might vote
> not to do a combined conference.   It's a democracy.   But Neil thought
> you should know.

yes, it is certainly a data point. Thank you very much.

To debconf-team:
What other projects could we team up with if we decided to do
a joint efford?