[Debconf-team] Fwd: Re: DebConf "Legal" BoF continued - lets get it to a Delegation

Subject: Re: DebConf "Legal" BoF continued - lets get it to a Delegation
Date: Saturday 10 June 2006 23:11
From: Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org>

* Joerg Jaspert (joerg@debian.org) [060610 15:29]:
> > Personally, I've got a few concerns about how the conference is
> > organised, which I'd like to list privately for your consideration:
> >     1) travel sponsorship seems very obscure; I think that results in
> >        a few people getting worried about it just being the organisers'
> >        friends getting sponsorship, rather than it being anything
> >        sensible. I was pretty surprised to find out Branden apparently
> >        didn't get travel sponsorship to .mx. Having a rule that
> >        sponsorship amounts get published somewhere, and all sponsored
> >        people are expected to do either a proper talk, or a lightning
> > talk on what the work they've been doing might be a worthwhile idea.
>
> Until now I only now of krooger who "complained" about travel
> sponsorship. The reason to not make the actual data public was/is that
> this is a bit private data. I think we can make it public for next year,
> *IFF* we announce that early, so everyone knows that everyone on the
> world can read it.
> I dont know if Im happy with that, though. Not for hiding reasons -
> everyone in -team who has access to our svn (and that are a lot of
> persons) can look what happened to the money, but more for
> privacy. After all it can be a nice information how much money one wants
> for travel sponsorship, *may* show a bit about their personal situation.

I don't think there are only the two options to have every information
completly public vs having everything non-public.

We have two sides to consider: On the one, the sponsorees want to have a
certain amount of privacy about their data. On the other, Debian want to
have transparency what happens. I think both are valids requests, and we
should try how to combine them best.

For example, one could consider to allow trusted persons (e.g. all DDs)
access to the information who requested travel sponsorship, in which way
the people are ordered and why, and who is finally granted money (please
note that I neither said anything about the amount of money someone
gets, and the amount this person offers to pay himself) - and perhaps
some more data in case of reviews (e.g. if someone who asked for
sponsoring asks for review, this person could decide to make some more
information available for the interessted persons).  However, some
information should definitly be treated as very private - e.g. the bank
account number (just because I don't see any need for this information
to be transparent).

Cheers,
Andi
--