Re: [Debconf-team] I need a letter of inviation to attend the event

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 20:16 +0100, Meike Reichle wrote:
> Hi Gunnar,
>
> > Are you sure? The data looks legitimate. He is not yet on Comas, but
> > today a second Nigerian (John Sunday) registered - and asked for help
> > with the visa as well.
>
> Pretty sure actually.
> [...]
> Taking that all together this looks *very* funny to me. Does your John
> Sunday come with comparable credentials?

I don't think it's spam as such, but I suspect it's a scam.  Not
necessarily against us, but e.g. someone who currently can't get a visa
to go to Mexico trying to get one by using a conference invitation as a
pretext.  (If we provide any letters to unknown people -- probably not a
good idea -- we ought at least to protect ourselves by making clear in
them that the people remain responsible for their own expenses.)

--
Moray
http://www.morayallan.com/