[Debconf-team] wireless barcode scanners

there appear to be no other linux based handheld wifi barcode
scanners besides the ones we wont get. there are 3-4kE expensive
MSDOS 7.0 based ones from italy, which i am not sure i would
want. they are also the size of a small suitcase and might
require special training to hold longer then 5min.

aparently the bluetooth based scanners are both smaller and have
more companies producing them. but
- which ones work well with linux?
- would we use a stationary notebook (which we will not get from
  intel this year-> ask other companies!) as a bluetooth
  basestation?
- is that encrypted, can we regard the trafic to the notebook as
  private?

One usecase i envision is to scan people when they enter the
restaurant to see who is entidled for dinner/lunch/whatnot, or
scan them when they order in the restaurant, so that the hotel
knows how many meals they can bill us?

What other usecases are there?
- quick-registration at the reception (this would not need a
  wireless scanner).
- ...?

Local team: have you guys talked with the hotel and are they fine
with this method of counting/accounting?