Re: [Debconf-team] wireless barcode scanners

Andreas Schuldei dijo [Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:33:40PM +0100]:
> there appear to be no other linux based handheld wifi barcode
> scanners besides the ones we wont get. there are 3-4kE expensive
> MSDOS 7.0 based ones from italy, which i am not sure i would
> want. they are also the size of a small suitcase and might
> require special training to hold longer then 5min.
>
> aparently the bluetooth based scanners are both smaller and have
> more companies producing them. but
> - which ones work well with linux?
> - would we use a stationary notebook (which we will not get from
>   intel this year-> ask other companies!) as a bluetooth
>   basestation?
> - is that encrypted, can we regard the trafic to the notebook as
>   private?

Now, why do we need a wireless barcode scanner? If we will depend on
having a laptop nearby, we can go for a regular, cheap one (we are
looking towards buying some in my institute, I have seen some as cheap
as US$70, $100 is a realistic price.

> One usecase i envision is to scan people when they enter the
> restaurant to see who is entidled for dinner/lunch/whatnot, or
> scan them when they order in the restaurant, so that the hotel
> knows how many meals they can bill us?
>
> What other usecases are there?
> - quick-registration at the reception (this would not need a
>   wireless scanner).
> - ...?
>
> Local team: have you guys talked with the hotel and are they fine
> with this method of counting/accounting?

We have talked with the hotel, they gave a preliminary OK.

All in all, I see only use for this at the restaurant - It can be a
good point, but I don't think it's absolutely ultimately needed.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23