Re: [Debconf-team] english is spoken elsewhere than just .uk/.us, and spanish is not .mx only as well

Hi,

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 22:36, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just today I saw those stupid national flags (*) in the upper right corner
> of http://www.debconf.org/ - could we please agree on replacing those flags
> with the words "english / español" ? español in html...
>
> (*) sorry, but I had to say it. Prove me wrong :-p
>

> regards,
> 	Holger
>
> P.S.: If you are a webdesigner and have to use flags, you should take a
> look at http://www.tagesschau.de/ - those _blueish_ flags on the left side
> look much nicer than the real colors. But unless you are (working for) a
> nationalistic party or need to pay the rent, I would suggest not to use
> flags at all :-)

today on #debconf-team:

<stockholm> h01ger: btw: you gave no reasoning (besides that your tast)
against the flags.
<stockholm> i mean that it hurts your taste
<stockholm> h01ger: i will arrive home on monday evening
<moray> stockholm: sigh; flags do not represent languages, but states; using a
flag to represent a language can cause offense to, among others, people from
that state who speak other languages, and to people who speak that language
but belong to other states
<h01ger> stockholm, the flags hurt my taste, but potentially other people
feelings a lot more. also people told me, they found them confusing... as i
see it, flags have more disadvantages than advantages.
<h01ger> (and i spoke out twice against the flags before they were put on the
site...)
<moray> stockholm: meanwhile, using a weird mixture of a US and UK flag can
cause offense to anyone who holds the US or UK flag in respect, and also to
those who want to argue about which one should be on top
<moray>
http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/ll_baseTemplate.jsp?pContentID=235&p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&;
"Popularly called .'The Union Jack", this is the correct flag for all
citizens and corporate bodies of the United Kingdom to fly to demonstrate
their loyalty and their nationality."
<moray> (that's the official site of the heraldic court system for Scotland)
<stockholm> h01ger: then please add that (and perhaps moray's link) to a
followup of your mail. like it is not it reads: "i dont like it, change
it!" (c:
* alphascorpii throws in http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html
<moray> yeah, that page is a pretty good summary

regards,
	Holger (who is getting bored by this discussion... I've spoken out against
flags before they were put on the website as they were suggested as I knew
this was no good idea. Unfortunatly someone thought I would be a good idea
and did neither listen nor ask why I was against it... whatever - as long as
this is resolved soon...)