Re: [Debconf-team] Debconf6 dates

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 23:17 +0000, Moray Allan wrote:
> The website and announcements give the dates for DebConf6 as May 14 to
> May 22 2006.  Please could someone clarify (here and on the website)
> what this means in terms of scheduling: which days will there be
> scheduled events, and which days should people plan to arrive and leave?
> There has been some confusion about this in the past.

Indeed, it seems to be surprisingly hard to communicate the schedule.
Last year there was similar confusion.

I already deciphered the schedule once, but I decided to try again just
to see what happens. I went to http://www.debconf.org/ and tried to find
clear, written facts that would allow anyone to know exactly what is
supposed to happen when. The basics were available on the debconf.org
main page:

      * DebConf starts 14th May 2006.
      * DebConf ends 22nd May 2006.
      * There is a DebCamp.
      * Debian Day is 13th May 2006.

But:
      * DebCamp dates (6th to 12th of May) are missing -- I found them
        in the generic sponsorship offer email sent by Andreas to
        d-d-announce.
      * Times are missing, so it's hard to judge the following
        statements:
              * it's best to arrive on the 12th latest if you want to
                see the entire Debian Day (my guess: yes)
              * there will be no scheduled activity on the 22nd, so you
                can book your flight home for that day and not miss any
                scheduled activity (my guess: yes)
              * the night between the 22nd and the 23rd will be the last
                night you can sleep in the provided accomodation. (my
                guess: no, the 21st to 22nd will be last)

The best way to communicate the schedule, in my opinion, would be a
single time-line with all details. If my understanding of the schedule
is correct, it would look like this (lacking artistic treatment):

 6th of May 2006: Debcamp starts
12th of May 2006: Last day of DebCamp
13th of May 2006: Debian Day starts, programme from HH:MM to HH:MM
14th of May 2006: First conference day, programme from HH:MM to HH:MM
               [exceptions in regular schedule go here]
21st of May 2006: Last conference day, programme from HH:MM to HH:MM
22nd of May 2006: Cleanup day, last chance to check out.

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>