Re: debconf registration

Andreas Schuldei dijo [Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:51:02PM +0200]:

> Preparations
> ============
> - print nametags and laminate them
>   TODO: have a proper interface to comas to pull out the nametag
>   information and print them efficiantly. Contact gwolf and
>   dondecarlo to create interface

Have done that, and I think I even have it somewhere. There are two
ways for doing this:

- Via a Zebra printer - a special printer which spits thermal-printed
  labels which are then put over the nametag.
  Advantage: Easiest, you can print them one by one as the people come
  by, even good looking :)
  Disadvantage: We don't have one. I don't know how much would it cost
  to rent it, but I doubt it's much worth it
- Pre-generating sheets with all of the nametags, then printing them
  all together, cutting them and putting them in the plastic
  envelopes.
  Advantages: Cheap
  Disadvantages: We'll have to cut each of the labels. If we are to
  laminate them (instead of just putting them inside a plastic little
  bag), we have to have them all ready beforehand, it'll be difficult
  for people just to walk in. Well, this might even be an advantage
  ;-)

I have done both ways, and IIRC I have the code ready for printing the
second alternative using LaTeX.

>   preferably white background for readability, symbol/icon for
>   people sleeping in the dorm.

Ok

> - print food tickets. ask nchip about design

Ok, that can easily be done from the system as well, and we have some
days to sort out the details.

> - Packing *personalized*  bags with
>   - oreilley books
>   - conference tshirt of the right size
>   - food tickets of the right amount
>   - conference proceedings
>   - name tag
>   - info sheet about debconf5 Todo

I think that everything that's personalizable should be personalized -
i.e., I expect us to screw up at least once, so we'd better be
prepared. We'll screw up less often if we print labels with the
person's name and size and stick it on the shirt, if we print the food
tickets with the name of the (at least, intended) owner. We can then
just put one-of-everything in the bag, just making sure we put a
shirt, a book of tickets and a nametag with the same name. And it'll
be easier to recover from screwups.

>   In order to be able to pack the bags with the proper tshirt
>   size and other personalized information, comas should be able
>   to print a one page per attendee summary with all relevant
>   information.

It is - at least, via your friendly walking proxy :)

> - group/sort the bags together on a arrivals-per-day basis, to
>   keep the amount manageable and come up with an easy way to
>   carry them from the storage room to the registration desk
>   (broomsticks are cool)

That's even easier if we -once again- abuse the labels. Print a label
'Gunnar Wolf - July 2' and stick it to my bag.

> - create an arrivals-Today list and mark who is there allready
>   TODO: talk to gwolf an dondecarlo to create such a list
> - make a leaves-today list preferably with the person who has
>   the key and left the deposit marked somehow

Ok, that can be done in some minutes. Less than that, in fact ;-)

> - make sure to note who got the room key and that he/she left a deposit
>   mark that person in the general attendance list for checkout.
>
>   TODO: talk to gwolf an dondecarlo to create such a list
>         perhaps have them integrate a db field for "has the key"
> 	and "has notebook"

Yes, we should check the logistics for this. Will there be one key per
room as in .br, or one per person?

> - have the notebooks there to had them out to people needing one.
>   make sure they get the same notebook every day. have procedure
>   in place to check notebooks in and out.

Wouldn't it be easier if you got a notebook to keep for the entire
Debconf? We can take your passport/ID as a warranty. And you can turn
it in for keysigning.

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5623-0154
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23