Network status

Hi

TKY answered about the network status, and it is OK. We will have the services
open.

I sent the following requests to TKK (Otaniemi university network) and TKY
(Otaniemi students network):

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DHCP with automatic DNS/Route/Gateway configuration DNS

Absolutely needed:
------------------

= outgoing:
  - ssh (22, without ssh proxy)
  - http (80/443)
  - smtp (25, but we can set a smarthost for routing the mails, with
          static IP)
         (Has the university an already set smarthost?)
  - ftp (20,21, proxied for anonymous access is ok)

= internal use:
  - FTP/HTTP/SSH/SMTP/IRC

Mostly desired:
---------------

= outgoing:
  - irc (6667) (this item could be as well an abs. needed item, since
                Debian communication relies heavily on IRC
                conversations)
  - smtps (25, SMTP over SSL/TLS)
  - imap(s) (143, 993)
  - pop3(s) (110, 995)
  - jabber (5222, an alternative to irc)
  - rsync (873)
  - nntp(s) (119, 563)

= incoming:
  - http (80, 443, we can set an specific server with static IP for
          serving files produced by the teams. The accounts will be
          limited and the traffic supervised)

= internal:
  - ipsec

(* Outgoing meaning from Otaniemi to the outside world)
(* Incoming meaning the world will be able to access us)
(* Internal meaning we will be able to set a server and we will be able to
access it. Now accessing the world, no world accessing it)

What will be the situation in the different areas? Will we have to obtain an
static IP for each computer or will it work by just plugging the laptops/pcs
to the walls and obtaining a dynamic IP?

--
Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.6.10|Helsinki Finland

Where are you going, Starfish and Friends?
		--Chad (Charlie's Angels)