Re: what hardware will be available ?

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 02:25:36PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to collect a list, of what hardware will be available at
> debconf:
> What machines have been sponsored or will be lent. Please also tell the
> status (confirmed, asked, likely, whatever).

Hi,

I've now sent an enquiry again to HP and IBM which I've asked earlier, tried
also to call on Friday but didn't reach then.

> All I know at the moment is: we'll get some big machines (2 or 4 cpus), we
> might get some powerpc machines, and we asked for notebooks. That's not
> enough to do serious planning ;-)

Two machines from HP (one 4 CPU Opteron and one 4 CPU Xeon) are almost
certain. Confirmation on the phone approximately as "should be okay but have
to still verify it" (about two weeks ago). No detailed specs yet but
apparently they will be custom made for us so probably will come as
requested (16 GB RAM, 4x146 GB SCSI disk, 2xGbit Ethernet on board).

Asked for laptops too, got a negative answer, tried to argue that this would
be also good marketing for them, no answer to that yet.

IBM: asked particularly for laptops and some servers, got an answer "should
be able to give you some machines, including PowerPC" but no confirmation or
specs yet. Haven't got really through to the right person despite asking, my
contact preferred to put the topic forwards himself.

In general, seems to be more difficult to get machines than it was still a
few years ago. The manufacturers have apparently reduced their demo pools
and machines to larger events come from the importers/resellers for a fee
(which they are then somewhat reluctant to shell out in order to supply
hardware for DebConf). Or maybe I'm just not very good in asking...

AJT

--
Arto Teräs <ajt@iki.fi> --- See http://ajt.iki.fi for contact info