Answers from IBM and HP Finland

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 03:57:55AM +0200, Arto Teras wrote:

> I just sent emails to my sales contact persons at HP and IBM which I know
> through work, asking for 20-30 laptops and a few servers. Especially for

Hi,

I've now got answers back from both companies.

>From IBM it's a preliminary answer saying "I believe we can supply at least
something, including PowerPC machines" and the message was passed on to
someone else I haven't heard from yet. The IBM guy was clearly happy that we
contacted him early enough to do arrangements.

>From HP I already reached the right person from HP Finland (Tero Eskolin)
and he gave a bit more specific answer. It was approximately "Let's say that
we'll try to help as well as we can. For servers I'm sure we'll find a
solution, but a larger number of laptops/desktops is a problem as they come
from the wholesale stock and after opening the package the sales value drops
by approx. 25%." They could easily supply a few laptops/desktops as then
they could do it with their demo machines in Finland. For HP this time of
contact was apparently even a bit too early, as Tero mentioned that's it's a
bit difficult to know yet what machines will be available for lending in
July 2005.

Tero also suggested that we'd talk about the specs in more detail on the
phone, in email or over a lunch some day. So if you (especially Andreas)
have more specific view on what kind of boxes we'd need, please send some
details. In my original mail I hinted towards DL585's which is a 4-way
Opteron server which we are using as frontends in several Linux clusters in
Finland, or the Xeon version of the same box.

Cheers,

Arto

--
Arto Teräs <ajt@iki.fi> --- See http://ajt.iki.fi for contact info