Re: Meeting on Tuesday, not Monday

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 03:16:20PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> So, meeting on Tuesday, at 20:00 UTC, on #debconf-team, on
> irc.debian.org. Note 20, not 19; only the date changed, not the time. If
> the time is bad for you, we can pick another time for the meeting; also,
> things can be discussed and reported on the list at any time.

Hi,

I will probably not be able to participate in the meeting (I have another
one which overrules this, but all other evenings this week are taken too so
changing the date wouldn't help) so here's a short report:

I contacted Aschwin van der Woude about the computer sponsorships. Aschwin
said he had sent email to HP and IBM but to some general address with no
answer.

I just sent emails to my sales contact persons at HP and IBM which I know
through work, asking for 20-30 laptops and a few servers. Especially for
contacting HP this was an appropriate moment as the clusters they delivered
in my project just completed acceptance tests last week. :) If I don't get
any answer in a couple of days I'll call to follow up the email and report
as soon as I know more.

The emails were of course tailored a bit to each company. To HP I said that
e.g. DL585 boxes (4-way Opteron, max 64 GB RAM) or equivalent Xeon models
would be perfect for the servers. To IBM I said some nice words about their
laptops and mentioned that on the server front we might be interested in
some Power / PowerPC boxes too as PowerPC is an officially supported
architecture in Debian - are we?

Michael Gindonis from Helsinki Institute of Physics said preliminarily that
server boxes could possibly be installed at their machine room which has
empty rack space and proper cooling and is less than 1 km from HUT main
building with a 100 Mbit/s connection. That would probably be more flexible
in terms of access than any other proper server room around the premises
(locked but accessible by some people which will participate in DebCamp /
DebConf, firewall configurable as we want). I figured companies would be
more willing to lend expensive servers if we have an appropriate room to
install them. Does this sound worthwhile to you?

On the press front I have done nothing so that's about it for now.

Cheers,

AJT

--
Arto Teräs <ajt@iki.fi> --- See http://ajt.iki.fi for contact info