Re: Childcare at DebConf15 — action required

> My point was not at all about content but about participants. If
> more than half of the kids are "DebConf kids", then it'd be
> a DebConf event "with some guests joining", and we'd be happy to
> rely on your expertise for content (since you use Debian, I think
> this is a fair assumption).
>
> If OTOH it'd be a Teckids workshop on our premises primarily
> attended by non-DebConf folks, then I think we'd run into problems,
> and if only because of the limited space available in terms of
> rooms.

> Does this make sense?

Not so much, at least not to me.

If space is limited to n participants, then n participants can take
part, no matter if they are primarily kids of another DebConf attendee
ot not. Of course, participation of DebConf attendees' children can be
priortised in order to make sure that all those kids of attendees that
want to take part can do so, but if 5 participants are DebConf kids and
(n-5) are "guests" I see no issue as long as these (n-5) kids did not
take away space from some other DebConf kid willing to attend.

To cut this short, our rules (Satzung) do not even allow to restrict any
project to a certain group of people, but as far as I understand, that
is not even what you intended to achieve; which makes it look even
weirder to me.

So, guests attending is ok to you, and obviously there are no more
interested children than there is room (or you wouldn't have kicked off
the discussion about too few attendees i nthe first place, I suppose),
thus I can see absolutely no problem. If there is space for n children,
fill that space with m DebConf kids, and let (n-m) other kids taking
part, no matter how big the diff between n and m is.

Btw, this is how our projects got so successful. We opened up the
FrogLabs to more children than FrOSCon attendees, making it a great
community event within two years after it was close to dying because of
too few participants. How would you ever want to *seed* adolescent
interest in Debian if you concentrate on those who are prone to be
Debianised by their parents anyway? Teckids - and, AFAICT, DebConf as
well - are about building a community, not keeping the community in the
bounds it has now.

Cheers,
Nik

--
Dominik George (1. Vorstandsvorsitzender, Pädagogischer Leiter)
Teckids e.V. - Erkunden, Entdecken, Erfinden.