Re: Decision making in Debian

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 1:20 PM Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:

> We don't have any form of decision making process on mailing lists. As
> others have mentioned, when we make a project-wide vote (like DPL
> elections or a GR), then that's co-ordinated by the project secretary.

I think the word «formal» is missing from the paragraph above (and even
in that case, things like proposing GRs and amendmends to ballot options
do happen on mailing lists, so it's a bit in the eye of the
beholder). :-) Quite a lot of decisions are made every day on mailing
lists (and IRC, Matrix, in person, and in a whole lot of other arenas)
they're just a lot less formal than GRs.

(As a more general comment to the suggestion to use liquidfeedback, I'm
not sure what problem is being addressed.  I think figuring that out
first is rather important.)

LiquidFeedback is a tool designed for collaborative decision making. It seems that there is some research behind it as well: https://interaktive-demokratie.org/research.en.html
I don't claim that I understand these topics. I just have a feeling that it might be useful for a group of people that try to make decisions collaboratively, and it might be better than using ad-hoc tools and methods. I am not sure that it does actually work, and that it does work as expected, but I am willing to give it a try and to find it out.

Henry Ford, who industrialized the production of cars, is quoted to have said: "If I would have asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."
My point is: let's give LiquidFeedback a try and see whether it is worth, whether it solves any problems, etc. We can't know without trying it. We don't need to invent and develop it (which might take a huge effort), we just need to install it and give it a try, which is feasible in my opinion.