Re: DebConf20 registration is now open (with caveats)

On Thu, 21 May 2020 22:44:01 +0200, Daniel Lange wrote:

There are some aspects in this announcement which I can't really
reconcile in my brain:

On the one hand …

> We need to know, assuming health regulations permit it, how many people
> intend to attend. This year probably more than ever before, prompt
> registration is very important to us.

… the team understandably needs sound numbers.

On the other hand …

> To request bursaries (sponsorship) for food, accommodation, or travel,
> you must be registered by Sunday, May 31st 2020.

… anyone who needs/wants a bursary and sees a 1% chance of attending
right now needs to register now and …

> This year more than ever, even if you are not certain you will be able
> to attend, we recommend registering now. You can always edit or cancel
> your registration,

… can cancel later anyway.

Altogether my expectation is that the number of registrations will
not show the number of people likely to come but only the number of
people who see a > 0% percent probability of coming / don't rule out
coming completely right now and registered because of the bursaries
deadline.

Maybe starting the planned poll; then taking the decision; and moving
the bursaries deadline after the decision (if the decision is for
running the conference) would make a more logical timeline?

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe