Re: local shop sells sim cards

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 08:33:36PM +0800, Clayton wrote:
I know there are some out there looking for a place in the neighborhood
to buy a sim card. It seems they are not common because they have been
infected with the we-want-to-track-you disease here, they need to copy
arghhh

your passport and take a photo and generally do a bunch of paperwork. I
did find one not too far away though:

	Location: geo:24.795536,120.998314?z=21
	https://osmand.net/go?lat=24.795536&lon=120.998314&z=21

Attached is a photo of the store front. For those who have already made
the trek in search of gadgetry to the small Nova market near the bus
stop many of us arrived at, it is on the same street just a little
further on beyond Nova.

Here

	https://english.taiwanmobile.com/product/4GPrepaidCard.html

is an approximation of the available plans. This evening when I was
there, NT$1000 gets you 13G (not 8G) for six months. Personally I went
for 2.2G for sixty days (which is rechargable for up to six months).
I'll buy for myself SIM card(s) in Hong Kong, they do data roaming to
most (if not all) countries in SE Asia, they cost between 12 and 20 USD
(don't remember and not in HK ATM) 1 month validity and ~10 GB

I havent use them in Taiwan but they worked pretty well in Japan, South
Korea and Thailand. setup is not super easy (need to configure the APN)
but no registration is required.

feel free to reply off list if you want me to buy one, I'll arrive on
July the 29th. I'll buy the cars on the 28th

I don't want to make a profit out of it, I'll just do it for myself and
others who may need it

There is not a lot of English happening in this shop, but if you know
what you want and bring your passport, I doubt there will be a big
problem.

Clayton

--
IRC: gfa