Re: Being nice to introverts/the highly sensitive (was Re: "Breaking Cliques at Events")

Russ Allbery writes ("Re: Being nice to introverts/the highly sensitive (was Re: "Breaking Cliques at Events")"):
> I'm not sure I have any great or insightful advice, but I think being a
> bit cautious about the line between invitation and pushing is the most
> helpful thing other people can do.  I'm pretty good about putting my foot
> down, and even still I feel a bit of pressure to go along with something
> people keep trying to get me to do.  With more power differentials or
> someone who's less comfortable just saying no than I am, it's possible to
> push people into doing things they don't actually want to do when you only
> meant to be inviting and encouraging.

Thanks for writing this.  Indeed.

> This is tricky, since there *are* some people who prefer some
> encouragement to make them feel welcomed, while other people find
> encouragement an unwelcome push that they have to use social spoons to
> navigate.  I can't say there's any formula which is going to work for
> everyone, and I'm sure I err on the side of adjusting for people like me.

I think it is right to err on the side of believing what people say,
when they say they don't want to do something...

Ian.

[1] http://rockstardinosaurpirateprincess.com/2015/03/02/consent-not-actually-that-complicated/