Re: [Debconf-discuss] PDF reading/editing issues

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:37:59AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:47:00PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Does this mean that only people that can (or know a friend that can)
> > accept the terms of use from Microsoft and Apple are allowed to visit
> > Debconf?
>
> no, many people don't need a visa to visit Canada, eg, you and me and at
> least a billion other people. probably 66% of the Debian contributor
> population are included in this. (our distribution on the globe is skewed…)
>
> and then you can also use Microsoft and Apple products, without
> accepting there terms of use. Been there, done that.
>
> and then, I'm sure there is a way to make this work on linux somehow,
> if only with wine as the last ressort.

I use a temporary wheezy chroot with the old AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
package. It works OK for the few minutes I have to use it (this needs the
mscorefonts from contrib for me, otherwise rendering was broken on the forms
I use it on).

-- ~/bin/acroread

#!/bin/sh

set -e

if [ "$1" = "-e" ]; then
    schroot -c acroread -e
    exit 0
fi

if schroot --all-sessions -l | grep -q session:acroread; then
    :
else
    schroot --begin-session -n acroread -c wheezy-i386
    schroot --run-session -c acroread -u root -- sh -c "echo deb http://localhost:3142/debian/ unstable contrib > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/contrib.list && apt-get update"
    schroot --run-session -c acroread -u root -- sh -c  "apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends cups-bsd gnome-themes-standard gtk2-engines libgtk2.0-0 ttf-mscorefonts-installer && dpkg --force-depends -i /home/jak/Downloads/AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb"
fi

schroot --run-session -c acroread env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY -- /usr/bin/acroread "$@"

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev
                  |  Ubuntu Core Developer |